Uploading Files Using a Receive Link
Binfer Receive links enable easy direct device-to-device private file transfer without files ever being stored by a third party. If you’ve been given a Receive link, you have been given temporary access to upload files directly to a location on the link sender’s device.
To upload files to the location you have been given access to:
- Start by clicking or copying and pasting the link into your internet browser.
Important: If the link sender is offline, then the link will be unavailable. Alert the sender, instructing them to keep their device online.
- If the link sender did not set a password, you will be taken directly to the upload page.
- If the link sender set a password, you will be asked to enter it before having access to upload files. Contact the link sender if you were not supplied with the password.
- Once on the web page, you will see a message from the link sender (if one was written).
You have two options for uploading files to your link sender’s device:
Upload Option 1: Web Browser
When on the upload link landing page, you will see a “From” box, requiring you to first enter your name or email. Note, this information will be used to alert the link sender to who specifically uploaded files to their server using the link.
Once a name or email is entered, you will be able to upload files by either a) dragging and dropping the files into the teal box, or b) selecting files individually using the “SELECT FILE” button. Once files are dragged and dropped OR selected, the transfer will automatically begin. You can monitor the progress of your upload in the lower right corner of your internet browser.
Important: If you are uploading very large files (anything over 5-10 GBs) or your internet connection is unstable, we recommend using Download Option 2, which supports auto-resume if there happens to be an internet disruption mid-transfer. Download Option 1 will not auto-resume from the point of the interruption should your connection be lost mid-upload.
Upload Option 2: Binfer Portable App
The Binfer Portable App gives you many of the advantages of having a Binfer client without the need to install any software or create a Binfer account. Some of these advantages include:
- Auto-Resume of interrupted transfers
- Timestamp Preservation, preserving the file’s “Date Last Modified” and “Date Created”. (NOTE: The sender must enable this option when creating the link)
- Ability to download reports once the upload is complete
To use the Binfer Portable App, you will first have to download the Binfer Portable App executable file. This is a small 74KB file that can be downloaded by clicking on the “DOWNLOAD WITH PORTABLE APP” button or by visiting https://www.binfer.com/download/#portableapps
NOTE: You are not installing any software on your computer when downloading or running the Bifner Portable App. This is a temporary application that can run without needing to be installed on your system’s hard drive.
Once on the portable app download page, click the icon that corresponds with your computer’s OS to download the appropriate version.
Navigate to your browser downloads and once the file has finished downloading, double click to temporarily launch the Binfer Portable App on your machine. Once launched, a Binfer “B” icon will appear in your taskbar and the application start screen will appear. Enter the required information and click “SUBMIT”:
- Enter You Email (required): Used only for reporting and alert purposes.
- Enter Link or Code (required): This is the link you were originally provided, which you pasted in your web browser.
- Enter password (if provided): This is the same password used when accessing the web browser page.
Wait a moment for the application to open. Once open, you will be able to upload files by either a)
dragging and dropping the files into the teal box, or b)
selecting files individually using the “ADD” button in the top bar. Once files are dragged and dropped OR selected, the transfer will automatically begin. You can monitor the progress of your overall upload or individual files by viewing the “Overall Progress” and “Current Transfer” bars. If uploading more than 1 file, you can see any pending or sent files by clicking the “PENDING” and “SENT” tabs of the portable app.
Once the upload is complete, you can download a report summary of the transfer if desired by clicking the “SENT” tab and clicking the “Save” icon dropdown.
Once completed, you can exit the application by clicking “Welcome>LOGOUT”. NOTE: Once closed out, the application will disappear and you will no longer have access to any data pertaining to your previous uploads.